This blog will complement my photographic work on the Chinatowns of the United States & Canada, starting with the first solo exhibition of the project at Craig Krull Gallery in Santa Monica, CA. The imagery stands on its own but my travels through over 50 Chinatowns in the last fifteen+ years and the stories of those whom I have met as well as the many organizations involved with this history and continuing present deserve attention. I am eager to share my journey.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

TYRUS WONG: BRUSHSTROKES IN HOLLYWOOD

Good things happening for my friend, Tyrus Wong, a national treasure as an artist, animator and now at 102, the subject of a documentary by filmmaker, Pamela Tom, that is nearing completion.

TYRUS WONG: BRUSHSTROKES IN HOLLYWOOD follows Tyrus from his journey to the United States at age 7 with his father, through his young teen years as a scholarship student - they never knew how young he was! - at Otis Art Institute, through his both commercial and fine art career as an artist - the man responsible for the look of Disney's classic Bambi!  Today he is the oldest living graduate of Otis.



I have been photographing Tyrus for several years now when he, in his fourth decade of retirement, brings his handmade kites to Santa Monica beach as a gift to us all.

Pamela has turned to Kickstarter to help fund the completion of BRUSHSTROKES IN HOLLYWOOD and I hope all of you will join in the campaign, TYRUS WONG: BRUSHSTROKES IN HOLLYWOOD at Kickstarter.     Please support this documentary, aimed for completion by this coming summer.  Kickstarter today just chose it as one of their own picks!!!!   There are also some fun rewards for helping fund it, the funding increments in units of 8, a Chinese lucky number.

Recently I was privileged to be able to visit Tyrus' home/studio and here is a quick pic, along with one of my portraits of Tyrus and his kites, the portrait which I have happily contributed to the PR efforts for this film funding project.



 







No comments:

Post a Comment